Friday, December 28, 2012

SunSpire Almond Butter Cups

Almond Butter Cups

When picking up almond meal to make French macarons, I picked up these all natural almond butter cups on a whim. Peanut butter cups are one of my favorite treats, so almond butter cups seemed like a sure thing.

SunSpire makes all natural chocolates, and they have some gluten free, dairy free, and fair trade certified products, too. These cups weren't fair trade, though. The pack comes with three cups, molded into their inner packaging.

Almond Butter Cups

As you can see, the cups were really hard to get out of their packaging. The almond butter was extremely dry and crumbly, so much so that these cups fell apart while I was eating them. Despite causing so much trouble, there was hardly any almond butter to speak of; these cups were mostly chocolate, as shown in the picture below.

Almond Butter Cups

Compositional problems aside, these really weren't bad. They didn't have a strong scent at all, just a bit nutty. The chocolate was bitter and creamy, and since it was so thick, it overwhelmed the very mild flavor of the almond butter. The almond butter was quite smooth and consistent, but I could barely taste it. The ratio of chocolate to almond butter was just way off.

I've had all-natural products with much better consistency than these, so I don't think I'm being unfair in saying that these just missed the mark of what a nut butter cup should be. I'll have to try some SunSpire chocolate on its own, because that part was pretty good.

C+

SunSpire website

No comments: