Sunday, September 6, 2009

Meiji 100% Chocolate Cafe (part 2)

Chocolates

The main attraction at Meiji 100% Chocolate Cafe is their 56 varieties of chocolate. In the previous post, you can see them all together at the counter. The chocolates are hailed for their attractive, eye-catching package designs. Many are based on the country of origin for the cocoa beans, but there are also several flavors like rose hip, soy milk, and cheese.

After seeing pictures online, I assumed these chocolates were small, like the chocolate of the day. Actually, they were much bigger than I anticipated, and they were also much more expensive than I anticipated. I suppose I could have just checked the website, but 4 of these will cost you 900 yen (about $9 US). We ended up getting Royal Milk Tea and Maple. It was a hot day, so they packed them with ice for us to take home.

Royal Milk Tea Chocolate

This picture is of the Royal Milk Tea. It smelled like milk tea, and it was sweet and floral. The silky texture of the chocolate was much better than the normal Meiji fare, and the flavor was complex and delicious. If I have one complaint, it's that it was a little too sweet.

The Maple was interesting, because it wasn't maple flavored but sweetened with maple (syrup, I presume). It melted right on the tongue and had the perfect sweetness for me. The milk chocolate was again much better than normal Meiji chocolate, and there was the slightest hint of maple in the flavor.

Both chocolates were delicious and worth the price for me. If you are in the Tokyo area, it's definitely worth stopping in at the Meiji 100% Chocolate Cafe. The decor is beautiful - be sure to look up at the ceiling and see what it reminds you of. I also suggest going earlier in the day so you can have your first choice of the treats.

Meiji 100% Chocolate Cafe

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I really want to go there!!! Maple and royal tea, two of my most favourite flavours too!!

Thanks for the info, I'll have to plan it into my next trip. :)

ebidebby said...

Definitely do! And I hope you blog about it, too, I'd love to read about their other flavors and treats!