Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Nestle Caramel Macchiato McFlurry KitKat

Caramel Macchiato McFlurry KitKat

Has there ever been a KitKat with a longer name? I bought some of these KitKats while in Japan, and the package says it's a collaboration with McDonalds (hence the McFlurry part of the name). But right away, I knew this wouldn't be the KitKat for me. I'm not a huge fan of coffee-flavored things, even though I love coffee. However, with Japanese KitKats, I feel that I have an obligation to taste them.

The box boasts of a "delicate aroma and milky flavor" but the whiff I got when I opened the package was not at all delicate. Like many caramel KitKats of late, my first impression was a strong smell of caramel. I didn't pick up on the coffee or on any ice cream scent. My expectations were pretty low at that point.

Caramel Macchiato McFlurry KitKat

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm a sucker for pretty chocolate, and I do love a swirly looking KitKat. The coffee taste was very much in the background, with the exception of a few bites. It could have been my imagination, but I think the darker swirls in the white chocolate had a stronger coffee flavor. For the most part, the taste was a chemical-y caramel.

The white chocolate itself was creamy and decent (not chalky), and I finished one of the two sticks before my throat started to burn from the sweetness. With some bites having more coffee flavor than others, it seemed inconsistent, and they might as well have left off the McFlurry part, campaign be darned.

So, this isn't in the running for favorite KitKat by any stretch of the imagination, but at least it was better than Muscat of Alexandria (review coming soon). I was a little too kind when reviewing this last night, so as of 11/28, the rating has changed...again. Japanese Snack Reviews also has a review of this KitKat.

C-

KitKat Website (Japanese)

3 comments:

Orchid64 said...

I think you were charitable toward this. I just pretty much found it to be sweetness overload.

If you've still got access to Japanese candy, get the yuzu KitKat. It's really quite good.

ebidebby said...

I probably was too nice on this one. I'll have to revisit it and revice.

I may have to ask my friend in Kyoto to bring me some Yuzu KitKats when she visits me this December. I am really curious about them, and have heard nothing but rave reviews!

i♥pinkc00kies said...

wow!! i wish we have it in the philippines.. we only have the regular one & white variant here.