Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Nikkou Panache

Panache

I try to keep a candy dish out for guests, and usually, I try to put good candy in it. Some things do tend to get left behind (like some rather strong matcha candies even I have to be in the right mood to enjoy). There's always lots of leftover candy from reviewing, so I think it works out well for me and anyone who comes to our house.

These Panache chocolates were purchased specifically for that candy dish. I don't usually go for obscure Japanese brands (they often don't even make it to the US), but these chocolates were so cute and pretty that I couldn't resist. They are made by Nikkou, a company that also makes KitKat and Tirol clones. Orchid64 reviewed one of their Tirol clones a while back.

Panache

The chocolates were adorable, with a cute little heart stamped on each pink and white face. They smelled very faintly of strawberry, but the actual strawberry chocolate had a bit of a sour punch. The milk chocolate was of average quality and it did a good job of keeping the sourness in check.

One of my friends thought they tasted more like raspberry than strawberry, but that might just mean the flavor wasn't terribly authentic. These were average tasting crowd pleasers, but for me, the only thing that really stood out was the cute design.

B-

Nikkou website

2 comments:

Orchid64 said...

I remember seeing these pictured on the web site when I researched the company. They do look cute, but I've rather lost confidence in the company after my experiences with their Tirol knock-offs. ;-)

These look like great Valentine's candy though!

ebidebby said...

I doubt those knockoff will ever make it here, but I agree, I don't have much interest in finding other products from Nikkou.