Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mars 3 Musketeers Truffle Crisp

3 Musketeers Truffle Crisp

Outlet malls are never as good as they seem. It sounds great, decent products at discount rates, but anything that's actually cheap tends to be damaged or defective. When I shop at clothing outlets, good stuff never seems as cheap as it should be.

Oddly enough, this candy bar was purchased at an outlet mall candy store. As you can see in the next picture, it was $1.25 US, which is a little pricey for a candy bar. Since it was an outlet mall, I figured the bar was discontinued, but it's actually rather new to the market. Rosa at ZOMG, Candy blogged about how Truffle Crisp is actually a re-brand of a poorly marketed bar called Fling, and it's an interesting read. The original Fling slogan was colossally bad.

3 Musketeers Truffle Crisp

I was expecting the Truffle Crisp bar to be like a Twix, with a cookie layer under nougat, so it was a bit of a nasty surprise when the bottom layer was more like meringue. It was chalky and sweet, and I really wished it was a cookie instead. I only like meringue on pies - things like meringue cookies really don't do it for me.

The candy bar was pretty much doomed for me after that. The melt was nice, but the nougat was so very sweet (especially atop all that crunchy sugar/fat). My husband didn't really care for it either, but one of my friends liked it. I suppose it comes down to your feelings on meringue. Still, it was nice to see something different.

C-

3 Musketeers website

3 comments:

Orchid64 said...

I read about this a few weeks ago on another review blog and I adore meringue so I thought it'd be interesting to try. It does sound too sweet, but the texture sounds like it'd be right up my alley. :-)

Rodzilla said...

I agree with the low rating, it was one of the few times I didn't finish a candy bar that I intended to try.

ebidebby said...

Orchid64 - It's definitely an interesting bar with some potential, but the sweetness needs to be balanced with something.

Rodzilla - I know what you mean. It always seems like such a waste to not finish a candy bar, but I kind of had to force myself with this one.