Saturday, August 7, 2010

Divine Crunchy Milk Chocolate and 70% Dark Chocolate

Divine bars

Dedicated health food stores aren't places I normally frequent, but walking home with my husband after a tasty meal at a Mexican restaurant, we were compelled to stop in and check out what the local health store had to offer. Along with some handmade soaps, we picked up two Divine chocolate bars: Crunchy Milk and 70% Dark Chocolate.

I had seen Divine products before and had always been drawn to the elegantly whimsical packaging, but this was my first time purchasing. The chocolate is fair trade certified and the whole story of the company's origin is printed on the inside of the paper wrapper of the dark bar.

Divine Crunchy

Crunchy Milk Chocolate was sticky, sweet, and slightly sour milk chocolate. My husband thought it tasted like Hershey's. There wasn't enough rice and what was there was all clustered toward the bottom, so it didn't break up the sweetness at all. Overall, it wasn't as bland as a Crunch bar, but it wasn't as good as I expected. I just can't get past the stickiness that some milk chocolates have - it just feels unpleasant in my mouth. C

Divine 70% Dark Chocolate

The 70% Dark Chocolate bar smelled strongly of bitter cocoa, and chocolate had a good snap to it (although my bar was quite banged up around the edges). My first impression of the taste was that it was very bitter but not at all acidic. It reminded me a bit of charcoal, but not in a bad way at all. As it began to melt (smoothly, I might add), the bitterness gave way to lovely cherry notes. It was a thoroughly enjoyable bar with a fairly clean finish. A

Divine Website

No comments: