Saturday, June 6, 2009

DRY Soda Rhubarb

Dry Rhubarb Soda

I've never been a big soda drinker, but every now and then I enjoy it. New and different sodas are especially exciting, so this rhubarb soda sounded too good to resist. DRY Soda wasn't a company I had heard of, and the bottle was a little pricey, but it did have a lot of things going for it.

This soda was all natural, and made with cane sugar (which almost always makes for a higher price, unfortunately). The whole bottle was 60 calories and 16 grams of sugar. I can't remember how much one bottle cost at the grocery store, but a 12 pack sells for $19 US on the DRY Soda website.

The soda smells just like how it tastes. It tastes like rhubarb, with a lot of tartness and a hint of bitterness, counterbalanced with a little sweetness. It was very dry, but didn't taste watered down like I was afraid it would. The aftertaste was nice, too, a bit sweet.

It reminded me of something, and it was halfway through the bottle when I figured it out. It really reminded me of Lotte Koume plum hard candies, which have a bitter coating, followed by a sweet plum candy shell, and finally a gummy plum center. I wouldn't have thought to compare Japanese plums to rhubarb, but they do have some similar qualities (tartness, subtle sweetness).

I really enjoyed this soda, but because of the price and the complex flavor, I wouldn't want to drink it often. While I drank this, my husband had the kumquat flavor, which was also tasty. As an occasional treat, I definitely recommend this soda.

A-

DRY Soda website

2 comments:

Lacey said...

They use the DRY sodas to make ice cream floats at Jeni's!

ebidebby said...

Oh yeah? It is really good! They have a Vanilla Bean flavor that would probably be extra good with ice cream!